Making Samoa Cupcakes
So today’s mission was to kill two birds with one stone - or rather, two posts with one batch of caramel, and I’m happy to report that mission was accomplished. I used the caramels from the previous post to make the topping in this one. I was inspired to make these cupcakes after seeing the Samoa cookies post - and although I’d originally wanted to make some myself, I changed my mind at the last minute because my mixer was nicely packed inside its box and tucked in some obscure little corner and I really couldn’t be bothered to dig it out. As a consequence, there is a slight alteration to the recipe - I used less sugar and in the form of confectioner’s sugar, because I had to manually cream the butterusing a large fork coupled with a whole lot of deltoid-biceps-triceps-brachioradialis contractions. Definitely felt the burn.
Samoa Cupcakes = Chocolate cupcakes + Coconut Caramel Frosting + Melted Chocolate Drizzle.
Chocolate Cupcakes (recipe from Sweet Little Details):
[ 2 cups flour + 3/4 cup cocoa powder + 1 1/2 sticks or 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature + 1 1/3 cups confectioner’s sugar + 1/2 teaspoon salt + 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda + 2 teaspoons vanilla extract + 4 large eggs + 1 1/2 cups milk ]
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and cocoa powder.
Cream together the butter, sugar, salt, baking soda, vanilla extract until fluffy and light, at least 3-4 minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
With mixer on low speed (or armed with a fork in your hand) add in the dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the milk, beating just until combined.
Fill cupcake liners 1/2 full, making sure that the batter is divided evenly.
Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20-22 minutes.
Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan before setting aside to cool completely.
Coconut Caramel Frosting (recipe from Sweet Cakes Bake Shop):
[ 3 cups shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened) + 12-ounces good-quality chewy caramels (I used my sea-salt caramels and omitted the salt) + 1/4 teaspoon salt + 3 tablespoons milk ]
Spread coconut evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and toast 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until coconut is golden. Cool on baking sheet, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
Unwrap the caramels and place in a large microwave-safe bowl with milk and salt. Cook on high for 3-4 minutes, stopping to stir a few times to help the caramel melt. When smooth, fold in toasted coconut with a spatula.
**Reheat caramel for a few seconds in the microwave if it begins to firm up, to make it soft and spreadable once again.
Melted Chocolate Drizzle:
[ 8 ounces dark or semisweet chocolate or milk chocolate ]
Melt chocolate in a small bowl. Heat on high in the microwave in 45 second intervals, or use a double boiler until all the chocolate is melted. Set aside.
Using the spatula or a small offset spatula, spread topping on cooled cupcakes, using about 2-3 teaspoons per cupcakes.
Put the melted chocolate inside a ziplock bag or just use a fork to drizzle the chocolate on top of the frosting.
291 Notes/ Hide
- thefattofitblr likes this
- maria1417g likes this
- airaine likes this
- nilenna likes this
- interimnity likes this
- wherehipstersgotoshrek likes this
- johnohhsosexy reblogged this from peegaw
- awesomenerdygirlsharon likes this
- afrocircusafro likes this
- uptheir0ns likes this
- freddysayshello likes this
- shitytittys reblogged this from peegaw
- beaksmeep likes this
- beaksmeep reblogged this from peegaw
- mreali likes this
- pychoticmadness likes this
- brain-trumps-legs reblogged this from peegaw
- coffeebeatz likes this
- fusosososo likes this
- genocidersyosuke reblogged this from peegaw
- shammiipoo likes this
- huawesome likes this
- therewillalwaysbealight likes this
- falconfly likes this
- hellokkayla reblogged this from peegaw
- diamondgirl018 likes this
- jadiemouse reblogged this from kacirayofsunshine
- kacirayofsunshine reblogged this from peegaw
- roseblonde likes this
- kfabulous reblogged this from peegaw
- findingmys3lf likes this
- kingkong95 likes this
- shis-burger reblogged this from peegaw
- erotically-sweet reblogged this from peegaw
- afreelanceheart likes this
- dirtyfashiongal likes this
- elizabethmulder likes this
- prettykitty420 likes this
- buiiibuiii reblogged this from peegaw
- buiiibuiii likes this
- arctg likes this
- megangoldhorn reblogged this from peegaw
- lupa-mannara-36 likes this
- thatsworthatry reblogged this from peegaw
- ninjacatx likes this
- sisikecz likes this
- aublogs likes this
- palpina likes this
- lovetoself likes this