Farmer’s market at Berastagi
This weekend a bunch of friends and I decided to go up to Greenhill City in Sibolangit for some R&R. It was Saturday; the last day of the neurology department and we had to go through two case report presentations before we could leave. In other words, it was much needed.
True to its name, Sibolangit is in fact full of green hills.
On the last day of the trip, we decided to go up to Berastagi, another city about 20-30 minute drive further uphill. During the drive you’ll pass by a place called Penatapan. Numerous stalls line the street in this area, in which you can have a spot of hot ginger tea (to warm you up, it gets progressively colder as you go up) and the requisite snack - ears of corn. You can have them grilled with some sort of spiced butter or boiled in some salted water. I myself am more of a boiled corn person.
Now, Berastagi is famous for its flowers, vegetables and fruits and its markets constantly hum with activity. The most famous produce is probably the passionfruit or marquisa. You’ll see them everywhere once you enter the premises.
Also to recently make the “to-buy” list when you’re in Berastagi are the tamarillos, or terong belanda.
This trip was pretty memorable for me because during it I ate my first persimmon (at age 22 - would you call that a travesty?)
and also found raspberries or stroberi madu, as they call it, for the first time since I’ve lived here.
But of course the market offered way more than just that. We spent a good deal of time walking through the crowded market, tasting and purchasing the fresh pick of the day.
We left the market with our bags a little heavier, our wallets a little lighter and ready for some hawker foods.
And they have plenty of those there too.
A good trip all and all. Definitely recharged and ready to start the Psychiatry rotation on Monday.
- spam-cat likes this
- fantasticbyaccident likes this
- grapeyguts likes this
- kaomojiru reblogged this from peegaw
- sevahcailatan likes this
- cacunosilence likes this
- pi-day likes this
- myendlessaddiction reblogged this from peegaw
- sixdegrees-of reblogged this from peegaw
- westmorelandgoddess reblogged this from peegaw
- bidingourtime reblogged this from peegaw
- embracethevision likes this
- bananawheels reblogged this from peegaw
- noscalenecessary likes this
- liliaquetzal7 reblogged this from peegaw
- isli likes this
- theglumbakester likes this
- pixandum likes this
- mel-men likes this
- maryannbragg likes this
- jisn1964 likes this
- self-xpression likes this
- tinktastichana likes this
- thedailydoodles likes this
- michelerandell likes this
- laurabfernandez reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- re78bulc likes this
- wutupjanee likes this
- pomegranatesandkampinoes likes this
- meepz likes this
- fuckyeahpuregold likes this
- tylormcgee likes this
- shadowslord likes this
- goodbye30 likes this
- dclxvii likes this
- forgotten-carousel reblogged this from peegaw
- tree-of-elimy likes this
- rubberbend reblogged this from peegaw
- nowhinning likes this
- irayanti reblogged this from peegaw
- irayanti likes this
- dreamluv likes this
- what-would-misha-do likes this
- logicianmagician likes this
- thedancingtoast likes this
- twinkling-around likes this
- chicksdigsaurs likes this
- iamcheese likes this
- bionicbites likes this
- oh-mitzi likes this