Making Kimchi Bokkeumbap (김치볶음밥) / Kimchi Fried Rice
First use of the kimchi that was made yesterday (well, technically second since I ate some last night). Kimchi bokkeumbap or fried rice is probably one of the easiest Korean food to make once you get your hands on some kimchi, and it taste oh so good. Although it is also said that however good the rice may be, the highlight of a plate of Kimchi fried rice is actually the fried egg, which is why I’m going to include a method of cooking a dressed-up sunny-side that I sort of learnt from my mother - unfortunately I overcooked it in this post, which does it no justice whatsoever. Lesson learned : always watch your eggs.
KIMCHI FRIED RICE:
[ 3 cups cooked rice, chilled + 1/3 cup shrimp, shelled and de-veined + 1/4 cup soy sauce + 2 tablespoon fish sauce + 1 teaspoon lime juice + 2 tablespoon sesame oil + 2 cups of kimchi, julienned + 2 tablespoon green chili, sliced into rings + 1/4 cup chopped green onion or scallions + sea salt and white pepper to taste + 2 tablespoon vegetable oil + 4 eggs ]
Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the shrimp until it turns pink. Set the shrimp aside.
Heat a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sesame oil and warm for 1 minute. Add the shrimp, kimchee and sliced chili peppers and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add in the soy sauce, fish sauce and lime juice and continue to stir.
Add the rice and break it up with the back of a wok ladle, tossing constantly to prevent it from sticking to the wok. Add a tablespoon or two of kimchi juice if the rice looks a little too dry.
Add the scallions, and season with salt and white pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Heat another nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the other tablespoon of vegetable oil and warm for 1 minute. Now, you can simply just crack the eggs into the pan and cook sunny side up until done and season it with salt and white pepper.
You can dress the egg up a bit by first separating the whites from the yolk.
Then add sliced chili, green onion, shallots or whatever it is you wish into the eggwhite. Stir it a bit just until all the vegetables are submerged…
before plopping the yolk back in.
Fry it over low heat. Season with salt and white pepper.
Whichever way you decide to do it, in the end place a mound of fried rice on 4 separate plates and top each mound with a fried egg.
Garnish with the sesame seeds and serve immediately
- teeh30 likes this
- keepcalmandenjoyfood reblogged this from peegaw
- beanbird659 reblogged this from beanbird659
- tuyetlieu likes this
- babi-dee likes this
- nativechef likes this
- detroitgirl reblogged this from peegaw
- furnwaeh reblogged this from peegaw
- thisiscrapshit reblogged this from peegaw
- diamondnannies likes this
- reveriecauchemar reblogged this from peegaw
- deekim28 likes this
- detroitgirl likes this
- heartsatpeace likes this
- yuclaimedme likes this
- carrotseed reblogged this from peegaw
- chaseme58 reblogged this from peegaw
- cantcontrolmythoughts likes this
- thequietthingsthatno1knows reblogged this from peegaw
- hi-flyer reblogged this from peegaw
- screwallthediets reblogged this from peegaw
- thequietthingsthatno1knows likes this
- intoxicate-the-soul likes this
- ephemeralust reblogged this from peegaw
- ephemeralust likes this
- notmicrowaveablesafe likes this
- raiise reblogged this from peegaw
- thesleepydog likes this
- neelespixiedust likes this
- imagimaginationof likes this
- mentagua1987 likes this
- mentagua1987 reblogged this from peegaw
- kimds92 likes this
- carpedxem reblogged this from peegaw
- jaylemonroe likes this
- funmix likes this
- pinkmonkeymadness likes this
- sometimesalwaysandnever likes this
- ohhellojenn reblogged this from peegaw
- ohhellojenn likes this
- l0vealwaysamber likes this
- mknit reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- kyrian-arch reblogged this from peegaw
- tieza likes this
- neko777 likes this
- awkwardantipode likes this
- lotsa22 likes this
- cuddlingthelunchbox reblogged this from peegaw
- samouha10 reblogged this from peegaw