Say hello to the
cockblock roadblock of my path to Korean Cuisine - The Gochujang or Korean Red Pepper Paste.
I can’t find a jar of it here so sooner or later I’ll have to make my own, and so far there are 2 recipe contenders, both equally time consuming.
One involves soybean powder and malt powder, and while the former is easy enough to make, malt powder is made from wheat berries that has to be soaked for 3-4 days.The other involves using miso and this would be easy enough if you access to it. Unfortunately I do not, and making miso requires a starter called Koji and you also have to let it ferment for 2 whole months.
There really is no way of getting around either recipes and now I feel frustrated and irrationally cheated, because I really, really want to make some ddukbokki.
There are no Korean restaurants where I’m currently in school! I’ve been wanting Korean food so badly. ddukbokki sounds good right about now
There aren’t any here either! You know it’s funny, they also don’t have ready made tteok (rice cakes) here but I’d rather wrestle the dough into pliancy (which I’ll have to do anyway) than deal with this gochujang nightmare. And it’s in 99% of Korean food - ah the sorrow.
You could also try an online specialty food store!
I suppose I’ll have to resort to that eventually
but not until after I attempt and possibly fail to make some myself.
capetowntocanada replied to your photo: Say hello to the cockblock roadblock of my path to…
oh dear. now you’ve got me wishing for kimchi. with everything! Would you? Please …
Of course! Kimchi is actually one of the rare ones that doesn’t require gochujang, but gochugaru (Korean red pepper powder) instead. You know what, I’ll make white kimchi too, and maybe throw in bokumbap (kimchi fried rice) along with it.
girlmeetsbowl replied to your photo: Say hello to the cockblock roadblock of my path to…
You can do it!
17 Notes/ Hide
- symphosanna likes this
- capetowntocanada likes this
- redblackapron likes this
- khaisquare likes this
- girlmeetsbowl said: You can do it!
- ronwurzer likes this
- capetowntocanada said: oh dear. now you’ve got me wishing for kimchi. with everything! Would you? Please …
- esendoran likes this
- falsepalindrome likes this
- tin-foil-hats said: You could also try an online specialty food store!
- logicianmagician likes this
- eeeel said: There are no Korean restaurants where I’m currently in school! I’ve been wanting Korean food so badly. ddukbokki sounds good right about now
- tulipcutie likes this
- kumtrot reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- unadulteratedfoodie likes this
- happyx3project likes this
- peegaw posted this