Making Vegan Fried Green Tomato Sandwich
This post goes out to the Anon who made a foodwish for something vegan and one sandwich is to be split between Logicianmagician & JenniferC , who answered the theme song trivia correctly (and thanks to those who guessed! It’s actually interesting to see how many knew the answer).
I know that substituting eggs with a mixture of flour, turmeric powder and water is nothing new, but truth be told I’m a bit stumped when this vegan post was requested. I had initially wanted to make a vegan version of the No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake, but I really can’t handle a whole cake in the house right after the last one has just been demolished. In regards to the choice of greens for this sandwich, there are only a few things that tomatoes love most and that’s more tomatoes, salt and basil. So pile on some sweet basil then dip the whole thing in ketchup. Pure bliss, I promise.
VEGAN FRIED GREEN TOMATOES:
[ 2 Medium sized green tomatoes + 1 cup flour + 3 tablespoon rice flour or regular flour + 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder + 2 tablespoon water + 3/4 bread crumbs + 3/4 cup corn meal + 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper + salt and pepper to taste + oil enough to shallow fry ]
Put the one cup of flour onto a plate.
Combine the 3 tablespoon flour, turmeric powder and water in a shallow bowl. Adjust water if the batter is too thick. You can substitute this mixture for 2 eggs (beaten) if you’re not a vegan.
Combine the breadcrumbs and corn meal in another plate.
Slice the tomatoes into 1-inch thick slices.
Place on a rack on top of some paper towel or a tea towel and sprinkle salt before turning them over. Leave them for 10 minutes so the salt can draw out the water from the tomatoes.
Cover the tomato slice with flour.
Then dip it in the turmeric powder batter (or the beaten eggs).
Then cover it with the breadcrumb-cornmeal mixture.
Return it back to the rack and chill in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes just to firm up.
Heat enough oil in a frying pan to shallow fry the tomatoes on medium-high heat. Fry the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes per side. This allows the tomato to soften a bit and the crust to become crunchy.
Drain on paper towels and serve on toasted bread with vegan mayonnaise, topped with a bunch of basil and ketchup on the side.
Estimated Nutritional Information:
Makes about 8 tomato slices, serves approx. 2-4
Total Calories: 289kcals
Fat: 19.3g (11g saturated)
131 Notes/ Hide
- plantyhamchuk reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- foodfest- reblogged this from peegaw
- batmanseyeliner likes this
- xoheatherette likes this
- wellsend reblogged this from peegaw
- wellsend likes this
- crumpetsandcocaine likes this
- vegan-demon reblogged this from peegaw
- head-vr-heels likes this
- randyfromearth likes this
- hiranohannah likes this
- only-you-just-you likes this
- sherlock-u-lil-shit likes this
- meawletyran likes this
- eboniloveart likes this
- budgetvegan likes this
- -thefatvegetarian- reblogged this from cooking-vegan
- strongsoph likes this
- cooking-vegan reblogged this from peegaw
- killmyblues likes this
- thefattofitblr likes this
- ylbtr likes this
- nikaperne likes this
- yeyegrrl likes this
- shethinksyouarehot likes this
- yess-im-anangelwithashotgun likes this
- highdale likes this
- x3katherine likes this
- thesebluerivers likes this
- midnightsins likes this
- angeldavid89 likes this
- slutpridexoxo likes this
- darkchocolatecreatures reblogged this from mydamncurls
- darkchocolatecreatures likes this
- genesisshalomm likes this
- dandelion-n-a-field-of-roses likes this
- mydamncurls reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- lemonlimelima likes this
- saykaty likes this
- elizabum likes this
- nudgenudgenudge likes this
- mag-fm likes this
- ayyyyyeeeeee likes this
- markholyoake-photography likes this
- alex-the-jewellery likes this
- heatherjli likes this
- kelseydo likes this
- skinny-cookbook reblogged this from peegaw