Making Vegan Fried Green Tomato Sandwich
This post goes out to the Anon who made a foodwish for something vegan and one sandwich is to be split between Logicianmagician & JenniferC , who answered the theme song trivia correctly (and thanks to those who guessed! It’s actually interesting to see how many knew the answer).
I know that substituting eggs with a mixture of flour, turmeric powder and water is nothing new, but truth be told I’m a bit stumped when this vegan post was requested. I had initially wanted to make a vegan version of the No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake, but I really can’t handle a whole cake in the house right after the last one has just been demolished. In regards to the choice of greens for this sandwich, there are only a few things that tomatoes love most and that’s more tomatoes, salt and basil. So pile on some sweet basil then dip the whole thing in ketchup. Pure bliss, I promise.
VEGAN FRIED GREEN TOMATOES:
[ 2 Medium sized green tomatoes + 1 cup flour + 3 tablespoon rice flour or regular flour + 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder + 2 tablespoon water + 3/4 bread crumbs + 3/4 cup corn meal + 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper + salt and pepper to taste + oil enough to shallow fry ]
Put the one cup of flour onto a plate.
Combine the 3 tablespoon flour, turmeric powder and water in a shallow bowl. Adjust water if the batter is too thick. You can substitute this mixture for 2 eggs (beaten) if you’re not a vegan.
Combine the breadcrumbs and corn meal in another plate.
Slice the tomatoes into 1-inch thick slices.
Place on a rack on top of some paper towel or a tea towel and sprinkle salt before turning them over. Leave them for 10 minutes so the salt can draw out the water from the tomatoes.
Cover the tomato slice with flour.
Then dip it in the turmeric powder batter (or the beaten eggs).
Then cover it with the breadcrumb-cornmeal mixture.
Return it back to the rack and chill in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes just to firm up.
Heat enough oil in a frying pan to shallow fry the tomatoes on medium-high heat. Fry the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes per side. This allows the tomato to soften a bit and the crust to become crunchy.
Drain on paper towels and serve on toasted bread with vegan mayonnaise, topped with a bunch of basil and ketchup on the side.
Estimated Nutritional Information:
Makes about 8 tomato slices, serves approx. 2-4
Total Calories: 289kcals
Fat: 19.3g (11g saturated)
- all-theworldisgreen reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- heatherjli likes this
- kelseydo likes this
- skinny-cookbook reblogged this from peegaw
- all-theworldisgreen likes this
- trippingthistles reblogged this from peegaw
- diamondnannies reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- diamondnannies likes this
- kaitydavie likes this
- anikamyerspalm reblogged this from peegaw
- cannibal-swag reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- cannibal-swag likes this
- grasshoppersense reblogged this from peegaw
- coolchicstyleattitude reblogged this from peegaw
- brownie89 likes this
- ladesordenes likes this
- untiliwakeyourghost reblogged this from peegaw
- notofuforme reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- little-nerdasaurus likes this
- mtailuve reblogged this from peegaw
- bulgurdisplayofpower likes this
- peacetree23 likes this
- genderless-shakespearean likes this
- lokimondrak reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- teenytinycucumbers likes this
- do-good-and-eat-well reblogged this from peegaw
- aliciatang likes this
- thoughts-for-food reblogged this from batman-and-the-avengers
- mymidnightneverland likes this
- batman-and-the-avengers reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- bisousbisousbisousx reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- peetz likes this
- bluesunrising likes this
- fenizia likes this
- igrowold likes this
- magic-mow likes this
- naomidynamics likes this
- vivitsou likes this
- gettingfitbitches likes this
- mycatsandmydiary likes this
- lgaba likes this
- profesormoriarty likes this
- slothfingers likes this
- drawing-bored likes this
- logicianmagician reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- logicianmagician likes this