Making Grilled Chicken Banh Mi
I’ve never tasted daikon (I stared at it for too long and it reminded me of the radish spirit in Spirited Away) or even had a banh mi, for that matter, so I’m pretty glad someone made this foodwish. So here it is, as requested by Anon - I hope it doesn’t disappoint.
To address the woes of the use of sesame buns, here is an apology from yours truly. The recipe did say to use baguettes but there were none that day in the supermarket (shocking, I know) and so I thought this would make a suitable substitute. Apparently I was wrong - it won’t happen again.
On another note, if you Google “Grilled Chicken Banh Mi”, this post will come up as #6 #3 on the list so I’m pretty psyched about that.
Proceed for recipe:
GRILLED CHICKEN BANH MI (original recipe from Food Wolf)
5 SPICE GRILLED CHICKEN:
[ 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (or thighs, if that’s what you prefer) + 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce + 2 garlic cloves, minced + 2 shallots, sliced thinly + 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce + 1 teaspoon sugar + 1/2 teaspoon 5 spice powder ] OPTIONAL: Salt & pepper
Mix all the ingredients except the chicken and put into a ziploc bag.
Add chicken and turn to coat. Let marinade at room temperatur for 30 minutes - 1 hour.
Meanwhile, make the pickled vegetables:
PICKLED CARROTS & DAIKON:
[ 1/4 cup sugar + 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar + 1/8 teaspoon salt + 1 cup daikon, cut into matchstick-size pieces + 1 cups carrot, cut into matchstick-size pieces ] OPTIONAL: 1/2 teaspoon dried red chilli pepper flakes.
Whisk first 3 ingredients in a large bowl until dissolved. Add daikon and carrots; toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
While you’re waiting for the chicken to marinate and the carrots and daikon to pickle, prepare the rest of the ingredients for the banh mi.
[ 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite mayonnaise + 1-2 teaspoons of Sriracha hot sauce + 1 cucumber + a handful of cilantro sprigs + 2 6-inch baguettes or rolls ]
Combine the mayonnaise with the sriracha sauce and set aside.
Slice the cucumber thinly and give the cilantro a good rinse and set aside.
Brush the bread with a little olive oil and grill the bread until just toasted.
Finish the chicken & pickled vegetables:
Cook chicken approx. 6-minutes per side. Check that meat isn’t pink inside before removing from heat.
Transfer to plate; tent with foil to keep the meat warm. When ready to serve, slice.
After the time has lapsed, drain the carrots and daikon well and set aside.
[ Toasted bread + spicy mayonnaise + sliced cucumbers + 5 spice grilled chicken + pickled vegetables + cilantro sprigs ]
Spread spicy mayonnaise on bottom half of bread.
Top with cucumber slices. Fill sandwich with the meat of one chicken breast (or thigh, if that’s what you have), drained daikon and carrot and cilantro sprigs.
Top with the other half of the bread and serve.
- aconfusedidentity likes this
- reitiaa likes this
- fooood-yuuuum reblogged this from peegaw
- drawing-stars likes this
- annyuung reblogged this from peegaw
- bri-toplin-4-doctor-2016 reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- bri-toplin-4-doctor-2016 likes this
- intelligent-rebel likes this
- ericalamity reblogged this from peegaw
- misshadderz likes this
- eatfab likes this
- asecondtooearly reblogged this from peegaw
- katieebugg96 likes this
- doctorthetenth likes this
- amystar1 reblogged this from peegaw
- pain-is-weakness-leaving-ur-body reblogged this from peegaw
- justinandrew reblogged this from peegaw
- justinandrew likes this
- smithythefishy reblogged this from peegaw
- aiyanaoneandonly reblogged this from peegaw
- aiyanaoneandonly likes this
- atomickittyandthecriticaltheory reblogged this from peegaw
- mzclark likes this
- gatsbywithdaisies likes this
- adang789 reblogged this from peegaw
- esaella reblogged this from peegaw
- brad-marcgand reblogged this from peegaw
- ralphanddarbyforlife likes this
- ninamariarose likes this
- misosoupsdumblr likes this
- daytimedramatics likes this
- kazutoxazuma reblogged this from peegaw
- rle38 reblogged this from peegaw
- michaiahyork reblogged this from peegaw
- kilyongjoon reblogged this from peegaw
- zombritt likes this
- saycheezits likes this
- againstprivacy- likes this
- asianoreo likes this
- fatsacksflychicks likes this
- neo-psychoanalysis likes this
- roguelouis reblogged this from peegaw
- harper likes this
- lizjenna reblogged this from peegaw
- elviraholmberg likes this
- mi-migonzalez likes this
- kendralee12 reblogged this from peegaw
- classicnessa likes this
- motherofdexter likes this
- leajlowe likes this