Making Berry Wontons
First world problems for food bloggers: pricey ingredients. I thought I’d never come across blueberries in the time I’m spending in my home country after fruitless attemps at searching for them (and raspberries) in the available supermarkets. But this all changed when I looked into the fruits section one day and found a little punnet of navy goodness. “Little”, however, is the key word - it was priced at $4.50 for a mere 124g. That’s more or less the equivalent of a handful (or a mouthful, if you’re more like me)! I still bought some in the end and thought they were well worth every cent, especially when made into these.
[ 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries + 3 tablespoon strawberry coulis or jam + 1/4 cup sugar + 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch + 6-8 wonton wrappers + 1 1/2 cups oil for frying + powdered sugar for dusting + eggwhite or water ] OPTIONAL: chocolate bar.
Toss the blueberries with the sugar until coated.
In a small saucepan, combine the blueberries, strawberry jam or coulis and cornstarch and cook over medium-high heat until a thick fruit sauce is formed.
Heat the oil for frying in a deep pan to medium heat.
I halved my wonton wrappers to make smaller wontons (and it yielded around 12). Keep the wrappers whole if you wish to.
Spoon a small amount of the blueberry mixture into the center of each wonton wrapper.
*** If you’re using the chocolate, cut into small pieces and put on top of the berry mixture.
Moisten the edges of each wonton wrapper with a bit of water (I used 1 eggwhite instead ), then press the edges of the wonton together until sealed.
Transfer the wontons carefully into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on one side.
Use a pair of tongs to gently flip the wonton. Fry on the other side until golden brown. Remove from oil, transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
Dust just before serving.
Serve alone or with some ice cream.
- diamondnannies reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- diamondnannies likes this
- bunnyxchoo likes this
- violetbambi reblogged this from peegaw and added:
- ohceciliacecilia likes this
- valerieldj likes this
- greatmortcotrals reblogged this from peegaw
- rinavede reblogged this from peegaw
- simplyjet likes this
- blackeyesandpie likes this
- spongefishes reblogged this from peegaw
- nmyip likes this
- barbiechu reblogged this from peegaw
- saridipity likes this
- xanathmirell likes this
- m10fanfictionpb likes this
- fatttyacid likes this
- niksye likes this
- forthebooks likes this
- love-anonymous reblogged this from peegaw
- somethingbysomeone likes this
- tbell014 reblogged this from peegaw
- cfcomer likes this
- h01o8pe8 likes this
- selhattab likes this
- ruthbeeer reblogged this from peegaw
- nabogato likes this
- grumblebucket likes this
- nellevensidea likes this
- ifiwaskristianna likes this
- This was featured in #Food
- peegaw posted this